The Sportsmen’s Act has taken many steps in its long journey toward enactment. Starting tomorrow, it will face one if its most significant steps, as it goes to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives where it will be voted upon.
This is one of the most significant legislative issues for the sportfishing industry in many years, so please take a moment to weigh in to your Representative TODAY and urge their support.
This bill protects traditional fishing equipment containing lead from unwarranted federal bans, requires federal land managers to prioritize fishing access, and blocks the National Park Service from arbitrarily closing waters to fishing without state approval (like they did at Biscayne National Park).
Here’s what you can do to help immediately:
• Call the US Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to speak to your Representative’s office (if you don’t know who your Representative is, simply enter your zip code on this website: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/);
• When you reach your Representative’s office, ask to speak to the staff person who handles environment issues;
• When you reach the environment staffer, please convey these three points:
1. Introduce yourself (your name, about your business, where you’re located, number of employees, etc.);
2. Tell them that you strongly support HR 2406, the Sportsmen’s Act, and urge your Congressman to vote “yes.”
3. Tell them you oppose Amendment #24 by Rep. Don Beyer, which would remove an important provision that protects the states’ ability to manage state marine waters.
You can also help further spread the word by sharing this action alert with your family and friends. Click below to send an email to your elected officials and help ensure this important legislation is passed into law.